Regular readers will have noticed that I have somewhat diversified my blog over this past year,I experimented with with writing solely about being frugal and money saving but I missed sharing posts about our family life and although it is suggested I didn’t want to niche my blog so I decided that refocusing as a family lifestyle blog would cover all of the topics I wanted to talk about and give me the freedom to write about whatever took my fancy.
As I’m frugal at heart I still want to share with you some of the things we do or have done as a family to help us save and make money and I thought a monthly post would be perfect.
- As British Gas customers we get free electricity on a Sunday between 9am and 5pm and we’ve been making the most of this offer by getting as many wash loads done as well as charging everything right up, I’m not sure how much money exactly we will save but it sure does feel good knowing that I don’t have to worry about energy costs one day a week.
2. We have packed in lots of fun this Summer holidays and it’s almost all been for free, by making use of local parks, the library and a ton of our own crafts and toys we have kept costs right down.
3. I always buy the children’s clothes throughout the year to spread the cost, I buy early for each season and also shop the sales. I have just started to buy some Autumn and Winter pieces but I’m glad I didn’t buy too much as we were given two free bags of clothes for Jake which contained everything he will need for the next few seasons ahead.
4. For me being frugal comes hand in hand with being prepared so this month I have stocked up the freezers with enough meals to last us until mid October maybe even longer, by doing this it leaves extra money in our weekly budget to cover birthdays and celebrations which we have a ton of towards the second half of the year and any household maintenance during the colder months.
5. I’ve started the process of decluttering and organising, how is this frugal you may ask, well firstly I found some more items that I could sell one of which already sold and I also found things that I thought I needed to buy, it always pays to check what you already have before buying anything.
We have lots of plans for September and also a few different events to attend so I’m hoping to cut our costs even further to absorb the extra expenses. I will also be working hard to find new earning opportunities so I can add some extra pounds to our family pot.
I hope you enjoyed reading this frugal update, if you have any money saving tips for me then please leave me a comment I love to hear from you.