Word Of The Week – Autumnal

Before I start my word of the week I want to say that I’m well aware that it actually isn’t officially Autumn yet. Non the less there has certainly been an Autumnal feeling in the air this past week. It’s getting darker earlier in the evening and there is a nip in the air each morning. I absolutely love this time of year, and I don’t think I’m alone in my love for all things Autumnal.

The weather here has been absolutely awful, we have had pouring rain and strong winds. Wellies and rain coats have been a school run essential. On the way to school we have spotted so many signs of Autumn. Brown leaves scatter the paths and the conkers are rapidly growing fatter on the branches of the horse-chestnut trees. The bright colours of summer are being replaced with the beautiful brown and orange warm tones of Autumn.

On Monday I made my first beef casserole of the season in the slow cooker. It was so nice to return home to the smell of comfort food cooking. We enjoyed the casserole with warm crusty bread smothered in butter. Needless to say we all enjoyed our tea that night.

Flip-flops have been replaced with socks and boots, the jumpers and cardigans have come out of storage too. I have washed all the blankets and throws in preparation for cooler evenings snuggled on the sofa. The cosy feelings that come as the season changes is so exciting.

I have my eye on several pumpkin scented candles and decorating for Halloween is on my mind. All the best celebrations happen in the last quarter of the year.

I intend to fully embrace the Autumnal vibe !

You might enjoy my previous word of the week post, Friendship.

The Reading Residence

1. emma
    September 15, 2017 / 6:54 am

My favourite time of the year šŸ™‚ we did the very same and had our first slow cook Sunday in ages eating comfort food with blankets on the sofa. I’m trying to be mindful of my spends so that the first Christmas we host ourselves is affordable, so I popped into home bargains and picked my favourite of the Halloween banners for the front door for just 79p! That and a pumpkin or two should do nicely for the trick or treaters…might have snuck a candle in the basket too, we all deserve treats now and then!

• September 17, 2017 / 9:05 pm

Home Bargains is wonderful for affordable treats isn’t it, you can easily pick up something lovely for just a few pounds. Comfort foods and blankets is my idea of heaven, thanks for your comment lovely x

2. September 15, 2017 / 9:24 am

It certainly has felt very autumnal this week – there has definitely been a chill in the air in the mornings and evenings. I like the bright colours of Autumn, the cosiness and the conkers but it’s the one seasonal transition that I struggle with. I always get end-of-summer blues and have a few tearful moments mourning the end of summer before I’m ready to take on the autumn. Glad that you are enjoying embracing the season šŸ™‚ #WotW

• September 17, 2017 / 9:06 pm

I have similar sorts of feelings towards the end of winter just before Spring so I know exactly what you mean x

3. September 15, 2017 / 9:32 am

I love Autumn too but I don’t think I was quite ready for it to get so dark so early, If only we could have daylight just a little longer.
    Anne recently posted…Word of the Week – NewsMy Profile

• September 17, 2017 / 9:07 pm

I know ! it’s crept up so suddenly this year hasn’t it x

4. September 15, 2017 / 11:44 am

I’ve been thinking it’s time to change our seasonal decorations. It does feel more summer than autumn. It is the nice inbetween, when it’s not cold, but the colours are changing and the apples are coming in. Enjoy your candles. #wotw
    Cheryl | Time To Craft recently posted…Automatic – My weekMy Profile

• September 17, 2017 / 9:08 pm

It really is beautiful at the moment as the colours begin to change x

5. September 15, 2017 / 12:45 pm

Yes, you’re so right! I have been snuggling up every night and today have jeans and boots, rather than skirt and flip flops. I do like autumn, though I’m sad to say goodbye to a virtually non-existent summer, as I do like the warmth! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…Word of the Week 15/9/17My Profile

• September 17, 2017 / 9:10 pm

Summer certainly didn’t make much of an appearance this year did it x

6. September 15, 2017 / 12:58 pm

I really feel I haven’t been prepared enough for the turn the weather has taken. We actually went and got the children new winter coats last night. Things that I thought I would have a little but more time to get. My daughter actually told me she was cold. I’m actually liking the darker mornings as I really hoping my son will sleep in a little but #WotW

• September 17, 2017 / 9:12 pm

I know what you mean, this time last year my two were still in shorts I had to put an emergency long sleeve order in this week x

• September 17, 2017 / 9:13 pm

Me too, I’ve been living in flip-flops for the past few months x

7. September 16, 2017 / 1:15 pm

Is definitely my favourite time of the year and it is feeling autumnal now. I just lovenlove the feeling of home comforts X #wotw

• September 17, 2017 / 9:14 pm

Me too, it’s such a wonderful time of year x

8. September 16, 2017 / 1:42 pm

Same here i have arrived on autumn and am missing my sandals and summer clothes but loving my new winter coat I have to say x

• September 17, 2017 / 9:15 pm

I miss my flip-flops but do love a warm winter coat x