Word Of The Week – Books

I could quite happily use the word books every single week, reading plays a big part in our lives in one form or another. This week there’s been time for some relaxed reading, the celebration of world book day and a bookshelf shuffle.

Daisy and I enjoyed a lovely overnight stay at Llyndir Hall at the weekend with plenty of time to relax and read. I bought myself a new book for the occasion and Daisy packed some of her favourites from home. It was so nice lying side by side on the bed with our noses stuck in a book. When exploring the hotel we came across the perfect reading lounge complete with fireplace, comfy velvet couches and a shelf full of old books and games.

Our next bookish adventure involved putting together some costumes for world book day on Thursday. Daisy wanted to dress up as Sophie from The BFG and Jake chose one of his favourite book characters’ Sid from the book Kevin. They were quite simple costumes to put together but I’m pleased with how they turned out.

On Thursday afternoon I went to Jake’s class for a parent workshop all about reading which fit in perfectly with world book day. The classroom was full of comfy bean bags so we could sit and share stories with our kids, it really was a lovely afternoon and I came away with some ideas of how to help Jake along with his reading.

In the spirit of a book themed week I decided to give our book shelves a much-needed tidy up and sort out. I have picked up some great bargains from the charity shops this year already so a reshuffle was needed to make room for them. The one thing I seldom declutter is books, I have plans to have shelves and bookcases in every room eventually. Being surrounded by them makes me very happy indeed.

You might enjoy my previous word of the week post, Change .

Word Of The Week – Change

I’m linking up with Anne from Raisie Bay for Word of the Week.

1. March 8th 2019 / 8:48 AM

I could read all day every day too Angela! I love the kids chosen characters, I knew exactly who Daisy was when I saw the jar of dreams. Great choice! 🙂

• March 10th 2019 / 7:30 AM

If only we could get paid for reading books all day ! I don’t think I would ever leave the house x

2. March 8th 2019 / 9:51 AM

You sound like a woman after my own heart. I adore books. I think tidying your book shelves is a good thing. Not only might you find an unread book but you can also make space for new ones! #wotw

• March 10th 2019 / 7:31 AM

There’s always space for more, although I might have to invest in another bookcase soon x

3. March 8th 2019 / 11:16 AM

I have so many books too. I do really need to declutter, especially the kids baby books that they no longer have need for, I’m sure they would make some other youngsters very happy. Daisy and Jake look very happy with their costumes, it’s lovely to have such favourite characters.
    Thanks for linking up to #Wotw x

• March 10th 2019 / 7:33 AM

I can’t bring myself to part with their favourite baby books, I’m thinking I might pack them away somewhere instead x

4. March 8th 2019 / 12:35 PM

It sounds like you had a lovely time away and found the perfect to read.
    The World book day costumes look fab!
    It is great that the school ran a workshop about reading. It does sound like a lovely afternoon. x

• March 10th 2019 / 7:34 AM

Our school is so good for running the workshops, I always come away with a better understanding of how the kids learn x

5. March 9th 2019 / 9:31 AM

I love your word. The hotel visit sounds like a bit of heaven. Daisy’s and Jakes’s outfits are fab. Missed doing ours this year. First year that no-one dressed up. Daisy’s jar is genius. I love a good prop. I’m guessing there is a string of fairy lights in there. I need to go through my bookcases again. Still trying to declutter and empty one bookcase. It is hard. #wotw

• March 10th 2019 / 7:37 AM

Yes there are fairy lights inside, I saw the idea on good old Pinterest !

6. March 9th 2019 / 10:41 PM

I love reading and love that Joe does too, Jack not so much. I so miss World Book Day now the boys are no longer at primary school x

• March 10th 2019 / 7:49 AM

It’s a shame once they leave primary school isn’t it, it’s great that Joe loves books like you though x

7. March 10th 2019 / 6:53 AM

you can never have to many books. I picked up a pile of new ones ( to the granddaughter) when I was in Oban a few weeks back in the charity shop.
    Great costumes. #wotw

• March 10th 2019 / 7:55 AM

Charity shops are brilliant for kids books, we always manage to pick up some from our wish list when we visit x

8. March 10th 2019 / 1:17 PM

That sounds lovely!

• March 14th 2019 / 10:51 AM

It really was such a fun week full of books and pancakes x

9. March 11th 2019 / 9:23 AM

I really like that BFG dream jar, my daughter made a similar one with Brownies. #MMBC

• March 14th 2019 / 10:54 AM

How lovely, it’s such a simple thing to make but very effective x

10. March 12th 2019 / 10:11 AM

One of my very favourite words, it’s got to be a good week if this is your word! x

• March 14th 2019 / 11:06 AM

If only every week were so much full of book and bookish things x

11. March 12th 2019 / 10:57 AM

Love the World Book Day costumes and so glad that you and Daisy had such a lovely stay at Llyndir Hall. Lying side by side and reading together sounds blissful! The parent workshop at Jake’s school sounds like it was useful and so lovely to be able to have that time to share stories together. #WotW

• March 14th 2019 / 11:11 AM

Sharing stories together has to be my absolute favourite thing to do, I could read to them for hours x