Word Of The Week -Countdown

This week has been all about the countdown, first to Jake’s fifth birthday and then to our holiday. My kids get so excited about upcoming events that we always have to have a countdown. I don’t mind though as it’s a great way to sneak in some maths, a countdown is a great way to learn subtraction.

Jake has been counting down to his birthday since January, first we had how many months, then weeks and eventually days. You can imagine the levels of excitement at the beginning of this week, he’s told everyone we’ve met this week that he’s turning five.

On his birthday morning he couldn’t wait to get up and open his presents. Daisy has caught the excitement bug too and was awake before all of us. I love birthdays, they are truly special and I believe they should be celebrated no matter what your age.

Jake had a lovely day, they sand Happy Birthday to him at school and he got to choose something out of the birthday bag. He chose a bouncy ball, another to add to his collection of the many he already has. After school he had requested a party tea with all his favourite foods. He won’t be having a party this year so I was happy to indulge him although it did make for an odd mix of a meal. After tea he blew the candles out on his birthday cake, he always chooses chocolate cake no matter how enticing those character cakes are.

The other countdown we’ve been on for almost a year is fast approaching too. We are off to Majorca at the end of this month, it’s the kids first time on a plane and they are super excited. I’ve been busy this week making sure we have everything we need to take with us. This is the part of going on holiday I don’t like, I always think I’m going to forget something vital. I’m also not looking forward to the flight, I don’t enjoy being on a plane but if you want to see the world you have to suck it up I suppose.

I’m linking up with Anne from Raisie Bay for Word of the Week.

Last Weeks Word of the Week

Word Of The Week – Health

1. May 10th 2019 / 7:10 AM

Such lovely countdowns. So glad that Jake had such a nice birthday yesterday and I love how excited he was about it. I can still remember my fifth birthday – it was a big exciting one for me too! Birthdays are lovely things. Not long to go now until your holiday – good luck with all the packing and preparation x #WotW

• May 12th 2019 / 8:54 PM

Thanks Louise, I love spoiling the kids on their birthdays it’s such a special day for them. I’m itching to pack but it’s a bit too early yet x

2. May 10th 2019 / 10:30 AM

Lovely that Jake has been so excited about his birthday. I forget how early the countdown starts when they are little. Glad he had a lovely birthday. Now wondering what food he asked for. I’m with you on the run up to a holiday. I’d far rather someone just sprang it on me at the last moment. Not long though! #wotw

• May 12th 2019 / 9:02 PM

The countdown starts silly early when they are this age, the excitement is contagious though. Jake asked for tiger bread with cream cheese on, nachos and cheese, sausage rolls and cupcakes, they are all his favourite things at the moment x

3. May 10th 2019 / 11:44 AM

Belated Happy Birthday to Jake, I think 5 is one of my favourite years, it’s when they start developing their own little characters, while still being super cute 🙂 I’m glad he enjoyed his day. We are on ‘countdown’ here too. We go to Wales next weekend (Almost as exciting as Majorca!) Thanks for linking up and being a Wower this week x #wotw

• May 12th 2019 / 9:03 PM

We love visiting Wales Anne, we’ve had lots of lovely holidays there. Hope you have a wonderful time x

4. May 10th 2019 / 12:04 PM

Happy birthday to Jake! My grandson turned 5 on St. Patrick’s Day this year and we had a countdown to his birthday too. It IS a great way to teach them a little math and build excitement as we get closer to the big day. Hope you have a lovely vacation!

• May 12th 2019 / 9:05 PM

Thanks Laurie, the excitement was at epic levels, oh to be five again x

5. May 10th 2019 / 7:56 PM

It sounds like Jake had a fab birthday.
    Ohh! How exciting to be counting down to your holiday. It sounds like you are very organised. x

• May 12th 2019 / 9:10 PM

Thanks Kim he did have a lovely day. I’m trying to be organised for our holiday but keep thinking I’m going to forget something vital x

6. May 12th 2019 / 11:19 AM

Chocolate cake for the win! LOL! Hope you have a lovely holiday

• May 12th 2019 / 9:11 PM

Thanks Karen I’m sure we will. It’s not a celebration without a big old slice of chocolate cake x

7. May 12th 2019 / 6:07 PM

Ah bless Jake, I hope he had an amazing birthday and I totally agree, birthdays are so special and should always be celebrated no matter the age x

• May 12th 2019 / 9:12 PM

Thanks Sarah, he had a lovely day and then enjoyed spending his birthday pennies at the toy shop x

8. May 12th 2019 / 7:33 PM

I hope he had a wonderful 5th birthday! I’m not a fan of my own birthday, rarely celebrate it, but I love other peoples, I go all out x

• May 12th 2019 / 9:14 PM

He did Ojo, thanks. I never used to enjoy my own birthday but I started treating myself each year, taking the day to indulge in whatever I fancied doing and now I love celebrating it x

9. May 13th 2019 / 11:07 AM

What an exciting week for you! Hope you have an amazing holiday!!! #wotw

• May 23rd 2019 / 2:14 PM

Thanks, Rebecca I’m sure we will have a great time x

10. May 13th 2019 / 1:02 PM

Such lovely countdowns. they are fab. I’m glad that Jake had such a nice birthday and I was so excited about it. I can still remember my fifth birthday. I got a Kermit the frog and a cake with a pink elephant on it. xx

• May 23rd 2019 / 2:15 PM

What lovely memories to have, I think I can only remember a handful of my parties x

11. May 13th 2019 / 1:31 PM

Countdowns definitely build the anticipation for an upcoming event. It sounds like Jake had a lovely birthday (I’m with him on the chocolate cake!) which is nice. Holiday prep is definitely a balancing act of emotions at times, what with getting anything sorted, travel worries etc. I’m sure you’re all going to have a wonderful holiday, and that the flight goes well! Not long now!

• May 23rd 2019 / 2:16 PM

Thanks, Jade, it’s certainly stressful preparing everything for a family holiday x

12. May 13th 2019 / 8:35 PM

I think having a countdown like this is a great way of including all the family in the excitement of upcoming plans. It sounds like your son had a lovely birthday. I can imagine how excited you all are for your holiday, hope you have a lovely time.
    #MMBC